Part of a state-wide network of referral agencies, Child Care Connection serves Mahoning, Medina, Portage,
Summit, Stark, and Trumbull Counties in Ohio.
OUT-OF-SCHOOL TIME NEWS
Information for School-age Providers
Winter Edition 2005
Have a question about School Age Care?
Need information, resources, or assistance?
Call Ann Meager,
Child Care Connection’s Out of School Time Specialist,
Ann can also be reached by email :
Extending Learning: When The School Day Ends
Learning doesn’t have to end when the regular school day does.
A quality After School program can easily be an extension of the learning that takes place during school….and providing a child with opportunities for extended learning is really easier than
one may think.
The U.S. Department of Education ‘s “Promising Practices” provides a list of characteristics of quality school age programs that help children extend their learning beyond the school day. These include:
* Careful planning and design of the program and curriculum.
* Connections and collaborations with the school system, teachers, and administrators.
* Organized and efficient management and staff.
* Parent communication and involvement.
* Community involvement and use of local resources.
* Professional development and opportunities for ongoing training.
* Non biased, culturally diverse and sensitive programs.
* Tutoring and homework help sessions.
(Source: US Dept. of Education Planning and Evaluation Service)